Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chapter 3: The Self Feeding Program

After reading this chapter, I know this is one very important chapter for our team. Not to diminish the importance of the rest of the book in any way. The problems this chapter deals with are very important to me personally as I'm sure they are for many others.

Wayne starts out the chapter by telling the story of a staff member who came into his office to throw in the towel. They were done. They explained by saying, "I'm not being fed here." Over the last few weeks, I could sense this same sentiment brewing inside my heart. Taking on a leadership role, being a part of a new ministry, and all this on top of a busy work schedule and barely enough time left for relaxation has left me feeling like I'm not getting the recharge I need to keep this up.

The breaking point is fast approaching and I don't do something soon, I'll be learning through consequences, rather than through wisdom (As Wayne talks about A Choice of Instructors in Chapter 2).

Even dedicating time and reading this book has been a struggle for me. I only started reading the book last night. I've put this off for a long time. It felt like homework. I graduated from college in 2009 and never looked back. I'm done with homework. So when I come across something that feels like homework, I'm obviously not a big fan of it. With hindsight, I look back at that feeling and know the devil has been attacking me with these thoughts from the beginning. When I read the first email about this, the devil knew that he couldn't let me read this book. He knew that things would not be the same after I read even the first few chapters. Well he was right. And he lost.

This last Saturday night (August 20th), on a whim, I asked Adam for a copy of the book. I had a short chat with him about the feelings I've been having towards the book and the internal struggle I've had to bring myself to the point of asking him about the book. He encouraged me through the talk we had and I came out with a different outlook. I already felt the influence the devil had over me beginning to fade away.

That night, I read the first two chapters. If I hadn't needed to get up early, I would've kept reading. The wisdom contained in these pages is far beyond what I expected. It's been a great blessing to me already. I can't wait to read more. I want to be fed.

Wayne asked his malnourished staff member if he has been doing his daily devotion. As the book said, "My words were met with an empty stare." The staff member had been neglecting something very important in anyone's walk with Christ. The same regenerating, refreshing, recharging spring that I've been lacking. The same divine power that I will need very soon if I continue on the frenzied pace I'm on. Wayne explained it best with the analogy he gave of the image of himself, malnourished, in front of this wife. She asks, "What's wrong with you?" To which he replies, "I'm not getting fed around here... No one is feeding me." What an insight into my own heart! Wayne's obvious end to the image is a simple statement: Feed Yourself!

So why haven't I been feeding myself? It's something I've rarely done. The thought of devotions has always been equated with homework. That thing I separated myself in 2009. I left it in the dust, never to be seen again. No more projects, reports, tests, exams, grades, anything! All my life, I've equated devotions with homework. Today has been the only day that I haven't seen devotions as something that takes away from me. Yes, it takes time and discipline, but the rewards are so much greater! Invest a little time and effort and look at what God can do. I invested a little time in reading this book and He's completely transformed the way I look at an important part of my life. Today is the first day I've seen devotions as an investment in myself and in my relationship with Christ.

And what a book the Bible is to get the return on the investment from. Throughout the rest of the chapter, Wayne details out how we have so many mentors ready to commune with us in the pages of the Bible. Their best and worse days, unedited, raw, and ready for us to soak up the wisdom.

Not only has God provided a living Word for us to learn from and live by, but He has also provided a different set of mentors to all of us. These too are living and alive for Him. They are your fellow worship team member. A great way to illustrate this is through the example Wayne gives in the book. He talks about athletes and how they have a coach with them every practice and every game. Why would they need a coach, they're the best in the world! Well, Wayne writes, "That's why they're the best in the world." God has surrounded us with coaches, mentors that are there for us. Becoming coachable is crucial to an athlete, as it is for us. We must learn to accept the coaching and mentoring of our peers. When you do this as God at the center of it all, nothing can stop us. Not even gates of hell.

I hope everyone stays encouraged throughout the coarse of reading this book. I have faith that if you give God that little, He'll bless you in ways you never thought possible.

1 comment:

  1. "Today is the first day I've seen devotions as an investment in myself and in my relationship with Christ."
    Amen and amen. You're amazing Tim..

    I am so encouraged by your leadership and humility all wrapped up in the same man. God is going to lift you up. And you know what is truely amazing is that even when reading God's word is tough to schedule in, when you make it priority one (spending time with Him) He will breathe fresh joy into your day and multiply your time. Don't ask me how He does it, He just does. You'll begin to notice the time you have remaining after your devotions will be even more fruitful and less stressful. You're gonna love it. God is real and He really is good. He's gonna bless you big time as you read and apply His word. It's a fact (because His word says so, ha!)

    ReplyDelete