Sunday, August 28, 2011

August 28, 2011 Chap.6 FIVE THINGS FOR LIFE by Susan Emery

"Moreover He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel."  so I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll.  And He said to me, "Son of man, feed your belly, and fill your stomach with this scroll that I give you."  So I ate, and it was in my mouth like honey in sweetness." (Ez.3:1-3)
     Life is a journey; our ultimate destination is our heavenly home.  You wouldn't go on a journey without a map(or GPS), provisions and a camera to record your memories of where you have been, would you?  In Chap.6 of THE DIVINE MENTOR, Wayne Cordeiro introduces us to the map, provisions and camera needed for our life journey.  Need a map?  The Bible is the only map you need to get to your destination.  Need provisions?  Bring a pen, journal, Bible-reading plan and daily planner.  Need a camera?  The things written in your journal will provide a vivid picture of what you are experiencing & what God is speaking to you on a given day.
      Since I became a Christian at the ripe old age of 39, I have made a practice of reading the Bible every day, and reading through the whole Bible every year.  So I have read the Bible many times through.  I never get bored, because each year I am experienceing different circumstances & the Lord is refining me in different ways.  I love the Word; I consume it like honey.  Where I have not been so disciplined, however, is in journaling.  I would start journaling; get bored with it & justify NOT doing it by saying that I have no one to leave the journals to; no one to read them but me & I already know what I've gone through! 
     But, good student that I am, I peeked ahead & started using the SOAP method described in the book.  My opinions about journaling have changed!  As I look back on what I have written, even in a short time, I see how the Lord is working on me; I hear more clearly what He is speaking to me.  I have added this into my devotional time; and use the Scriptures I am reading for that day to journal.  Sometimes I don't write, but more often than not the Lord shows me "wonderful things in His law."
Here's an example:
Scripture:"He shall come down like rain upon the grass before mowing.  Like showers that water the earth." (Ps.72:6)
Observation:  I long for the cool refreshing of Christ's presence, coming down like showers that water the earth.  This reminds me of Hos.10:12:  "Sow for yourselves righteousness; reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground, for it is time to seek the Lord, till He comes & rains righteousness on you."
Application:  Seek the Lord-in worship, prayer & the Word.  In prayer, ask the Lord to break up the hardness in my own heart as well as in those who don't know Him.  Pray for the harvest; plant the seeds of love all around.
Prayer:  Come, Holy Spirit, fall afresh on me!
     My prayer for each one of you is that He speak into you a passion for His Word; a passion for prayer; and a passion to record His workings in your life so that you can remember His footsteps on your hearts.  Then go, and tell others all about His wonderful love for them.
"Moreover He said to me:  "Son of man, receive into your heart all My words that I speak to you, and hear with your ears.  And go, get to the captives, to the children of your people, and speak to them and tell them, 'Thus says the Lord God,' whether they hear, or whether they refuse." (Ez.3:10-11)
    

No comments:

Post a Comment