Thursday, October 31, 2013

Finish Strong: Bless as they come, bless as they go

SCRIPTURE: Mark 8: 8-9 And they ate and were satisfied.  And they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. 9 And there were about four thousand people. And He sent them away.

OBSERVATION: Jesus had been doing ministry on the Sea of Galilee (I was just there!) among a crowd of about 4,000 people for 3 days.  It appears that they had had little to nothing at all to eat having left their homes behind to be with Him.  Jesus was about to send them home but wanted to send them away being well fed so they could safely make the journey without fainting from lack of strength.  The disciples didn't understand how this could be possible with so many, but once again Jesus gave thanks for what few loaves they had, broke them and fed the 4,000 before sending them home.

APPLICATION:  Jesus most assuredly had blessed them so much that they were all willing to leave the comforts of their homes, lives and likely even their families.   They had left everything behind to be with Him.  Imagine that for a moment.  Leaving your daily routines, habits and even livelihood just to spend time with Jesus..  
And what I love about Jesus is that He didn't just send them away spiritually filled, He sent them away physically filled as well.  The people received fresh bread on every level!  When I have the opportunity to bless someone, do I consider not only their time with me, but leaving them filled on their journey as we part ways.  Have I equipped them spiritually, but also physically (practically) to do the work of the ministry?  As we disciple, we should not only me training in the moment, but preparing for people's journey ahead.  Make sure to finish strong, so that those who have been filled won't soon faint along the way. Amen?

PRAYER:  Lord, what to I need to finish strong with and not lose heart with.  What people do I need to see discipled spiritually and practically so well, that they will be able to stand in the trials of their journey ahead?  Faces come to mind God.  Keep them in my heart.  May I leave them with every tool necessary to send them off well.  Like David setting up his son Solomon for great success, help me to see ways to go the extra mile to bless others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment