Thursday, November 1, 2012

With everything to gain, what have you got to lose?




In Mark chapter 8 we once again see a great multitude in need of nourishment, much like in Mark chapter 6. They had been traveling with Him for 3 days and have nothing to eat..

I've always viewed these very real illustrations through the this lense: "God can take what little you have, and multiply it" or "Nothing is impossible with God, He can take a few measly morsels and satisfy a multitude, He is a God of miracles." or even this statement "Isn't that amazing how God used the seven loaves and not only fed 4,000 people, but also gave them (the disciples) back more than they previously had..God is able to to exceedingly, abundantly above or beyond anything that we could possibly imagine. If we give, he will bless us and entrust us with even more."


All these statements I believe to be true as revealed to us through Scripture in various ways, however I never really paid attention to this particular facet of truth.



They (Jesus' disciples) were asked to give away all their bread..

I think it's no coincidence that at the end of this chapter we read this famous statement from Jesus

34"Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

They were on God's mission, living out their calling and having been asked at the onset of their journey with the Lord to leave everything and follow Him they were still living out that very same principle in their everyday ministry: Sacrificing their passions, pursuits, dreams, goals, even careers and submitting themselves to their calling in Christ each day.


The Lord has often asked me to give up earthly pursuits in my life. In fact, it's a big part of my testimony.

Sometimes He will ask you to give up everything that is important to you, the very things in which you may find a large part of your identity wrapped up in. You may even be asked to give up your last loaves of bread while on your journey with Christ with no backup plan or escape route to fall back on in case you should get hungry or desperate. But I can promise you (because He says so..and because I and countless others that have gone before me can testify) He will take care of all your needs if you place His priorities above your own and pursue what it is to be a righteous witness of His Son here on earth.

Psalm 37:25 I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.


Matthew 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.


Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.


1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.


If God ever asks you to give something up, you can be confident and even strengthened in the fact that His desire is to increase your faith, give you the opportunity to see Him more clearly, and ultimately and emphatically..to be of greater resource and blessing to others!


Mark 8: 35 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.


                             So I ask..with everything to gain, what have you got to lose?


CHALLENGE: What is God asking you to lay down in order that you may be of greater blessing to others around you?

No comments:

Post a Comment