Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Discipline: A Lense Through the Spirit

SCRIPTURE: Hebrews: 12: 11-12 11For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. 12 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees,





OBSERVATION:  The author of the book of Hebrews had just taken us through what many call the “Hall of Faith” in Hebrews chapter 11 in which sites all the examples from the Old Testament of those who held by faith the promises of God.  They didn’t look to their inheritance as an earthly prize, but as a heavenly one yet to come.  They by faith pleased God through their obedience to Him all the while looking ahead to a “better country, that is, a heavenly one”, a city prepared for them in heaven.  All of their earthly trials and sufferings would not keep them from pursuing God’s calling and promises because they considered their home somewhere else.  Currently these believers (and us) that the author was addressing were experiencing many trials and sufferings.  He was encouraging them in the testimony of those who went before them and even more importantly that our Heavenly Father disciplines His children that they might be perfected by Him.  He was helping them to see their present sufferings through the lense of the Spirit.

APPLICATION:  Let’s be honest, our hands get droopy and our knees do often get weak in difficult times. 
Much like Peter, taking his eyes off of Jesus and fixing them on the billowing seas all around began to sink, so we as believers also fall prey when we take our eyes off of Him.  Intellectually we know this, we know that we have an anchor of our soul that will not let us drift away, but my actions can all too often compromise the desire of the Spirit and what He wants to accomplish in me.  Maybe some healthy questions to ask in the midst of difficult circumstances would be this:  Lord, what are you trying to teach me?  How can my present circumstance yield righteousness?  Help me to see things like you do Jesus, that I might not lose hope but rather inquire of Your strength in my weakness.
Knowing that God reproves and chastises those in whom He loves to disciple and train them just as hopefully our earthly fathers would, we may take comfort in knowing that the one who has ordained every day for me has my best in mind and that peaceable fruit is budding on the vine.
And this thought comes to mind.  When Moses’ arms became weary in battle (Exodus 17, great story!) and his hands drooped, his friends gathered ‘round him to lift them up and the battle was ultimately won.
Do you have friends that will be there for you when the going gets tough?  I pray you (and I) do.

PRAYER:  Lord, Your word in Revelation 12 speaks of overcoming the enemy of our soul by the blood of the Lamb and our testimony.  Thank you that You have produced in me a testimony that gives you glory.  That You have indeed worked all things together for my good.  I may have not seen it then, but I see it now so clearly.  Help me Jesus in my times of suffering and discipline to not take my eyes off of you, to not let my arms grow too heavy to lift to You, that I may stand strong in the faith as You exhort me to in 1 Corinthians 16.  Let my heart not be anxious in anything but always giving you thanksgiving with praise and believing that You are with me always.  Help me to remember that my inheritance is not here on this earth, but is being prepared by You for me in heaven.  Help me to recount your faithfulness every day and pour it forth in zealous declaration when the tempest rages.  Keep me close to You, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment